3.04.2014

Let's do Lent together! :)

For those of you who are new to the idea of "lent," it is the time before Easter, starting on Ash Wednesday, to spiritually prepare yourself for the death and resurrection of Jesus. According to Wikipedia, the most trusted source for information, "The traditional purpose of Lent is the preparation of the believer through prayerpenancerepentance of sins, almsgivingatonement and self-denial." 

That's lent... and it begins tomorrow.

For the past few months I feel like I've been in somewhat of a spiritual shlump (I know that's not a word, but that's what it feels like). My heart isn't in the right place, and I'm allowing my circumstances to dictate my feelings and actions. Therefore, I've chose to use this Lenten season, not as a reason to give up sweets or donate more money to a good cause, but to ask God to change my heart. As Ann Voskamp states, "Lent isn't about forfeiting as much as it's about formation." Through this lenten season, I want to become more like Christ, who, "... humbled Himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross."

So here's my plan. I've invited others to share in this plan with me, so feel free to share it with your friends so we can participate together as we prepare ourselves for Easter and the resurrection of our Lord Jesus.


Spiritual challenge for the Lenten season of 2014 
Begins March 5th and goes through Easter. 
  • Write a prayer down daily. It doesn't have to be long, it just has to be written. Can be in a journal, notebook, scrap paper, etc. 
  • At the end of each prayer, make a list of 10 things you are thankful for that day. (10 blessings of the day)
  • Choose an act of kindness and try to be intentional with implementing it. This should be simple and done with love. (i.e. Calling old friends you haven't seen, writing encouragement notes to coworkers, baking cookies for your neighbors, etc.) 
  • With the group, memorize Romans 5:1-11 before Easter.



Let me know if you're participating so we can encourage one another. May your lenten season be blessed, as our hearts are rejuvenated by the Spirit. Looking forward to the upcoming spring. :)





grace & peace

No comments:

Post a Comment